Subject: Proposed rule allowing email voting

At our April 30 meeting, I intend to propose the following
standing rule:

  resolved, that the chair of the PKI TC be authorized to
  draft resolutions pertaining to routine business directly
  related to the stated purpose of the TC and to conduct
  votes on such resolutions by mail. Mail in this context
  means electronic mail sent to the PKI TC's general list.

  In order to approve a resolution by mail, an affirmative
  vote by a majority of the Voting Members of the TC will
  be required. Elections and resolutions that would normally
  require more than a simple majority cannot be voted on by mail.

Why is this a good idea? It will allow us to vote on
routine matters without having to organize a conference
call. I would definitely expect the chair to be conservative,
only using this technique for matters that are truly routine,
where no discussion is likely to be needed.

In any case, passage of such a vote will require a majority
of the majority of the TC's Voting Members (considerably more
than would be required on at a meeting, where a majority of a
quorum would suffice). So only routine matters with broad
support could pass using this technique. It's just a way for
us to act more quickly and avoid the need to meet to pass
routine motions.

A simple majority of the Voting Members on the concall will
be required to approve this rule and a simple majority of
the Voting Members at any subsequent meeting could amend or
rescind it. This motion is based on language in the OASIS
TC Process document. I understand that many OASIS TCs have
a similar rule.

I figured that I should make this motion available now so
that people will have plenty of time to consider it and raise
any concerns or questions about it before our meeting.

I don't have a strong opinion that this rule is essential
to the success of our TC. But I think it might be useful.

Thanks,

Steve