Subject: Re: [pki-tc] Proposed rule allowing email voting

Phil Griffin wrote:
> Nice work. I will support this proposed rule.

Thanks for your support, Phil!

I have received a suggestion that we should also allow
the OASIS Kavi system's voting mechanism to be used for
mail voting. Apparently, this makes it easier to tally
votes and avoids ambiguities. So I'm going to change the
proposed rule to say:

  resolved, that the chair of the PKI TC be authorized to
  draft resolutions pertaining to routine business directly
  related to the stated purpose of the TC and to conduct
  votes on such resolutions by electronic balloting.
  Electronic balloting in this context means electronic mail
  sent to the PKI TC's general list or another electronic
  balloting system, as selected by the TC chair.

  In order to approve a resolution by electronic balloting,
  an affirmative vote by a majority of the Voting Members of the
  TC will be required. Elections and resolutions that would normally
  require more than a simple majority cannot be voted on using
  electronic balloting.

This gives us the freedom to use either the Kavi system or
electronic mail or another electronic balloting system,
whichever proves best.

Thanks,

Steve