Subject: Survey Objective, Sample, Plan, and Timeline

The PKI Survey Subcommittee has agreed on the Survey
Objective, Sample, Implementation Plan, and Estimated
Timeline included below. We'd appreciate review and
comments from the rest of the PKI TC. On Wednesday's
concall, we'll discuss this and see if any changes
are needed before we move forward.

Thanks,

Steve

------------

Survey Objective
----------------

The objective of the PKI TC's PKI Deployment Obstacles survey
is to identify the most commonly cited obstacles to PKI deployment
and usage and to correlate these obstacles with information
about the respondents, such as their occupation, expertise, etc.

Sample (Target Audience)
------------------------

The target sample for this survey can include anyone who has
an opinion on this topic, but we are most interested in
people who actually have some expertise or experience in
this area. Therefore, we will focus our outreach on IT
managers and staff who have worked on or considered PKI
deployment, employees of PKI vendors and resellers, and
lawyers or consultants who have worked on or observed
PKI deployments.

Implementation Plan
-------------------

1) Agree on the survey objectives and sample (target
   audience), implementation plan, and possible timeline.

   Almost done.

2) Verify with PKI TC.

   Will do this at the April 30 meeting of the PKI TC.

3) Determine where survey will be hosted and what expense
   will be involved, if any (maybe for software). If funding
   is needed, request from PKI Steering Committee.

   We agreed that the survey should be conducted using a
   web-based survey tool so respondents can complete the
   survey at any time and from any location. We would prefer
   to have the survey hosted on an OASIS web site, if possible.
   This will make it clear that the survey is independent
   of any particular vendor, aimed at eliminating obstacles
   to PKI deployment for the common good. Steve will ask
   the OASIS Administration if this is possible. We will
   ask the PKI Member Section Steering Committee for funds
   if we need to buy survey software.

4) Draft publicity plan.

   We want to publicize the survey widely, but focussing on
   people who have some experience with PKI deployment so
   that we aren't overwhelmed with meaningless responses.
   Therefore, we plan to circulate an invitation to participate
   in the survey by email. But we need to figure out who
   should receive these invitations. Here are some ideas:
   ask PKI vendors to send it to customers, send to all
   OASIS members, send to PKI Research Workshop attendees,
   the PKIX working group mailing list, and Internet 2
   Consortium members. Other ideas are welcome.

   Of course, we'll need to get approval from each of these
   organizations before sending the invitation to their
   members.

5) Prepare rough draft survey and get feedback.

   The Survey SC will develop the rough draft survey,
   using email and periodic concalls to refine it. See
   the rough cut below. Then we will ask the PKI TC to
   review the draft and incorporate their comments.

6) Prepare final draft survey.

7) Test survey with a few respondents to find bugs,
   omissions, etc. Revise as needed.

   Paul said that this has been very useful in the past.

8) Have publicity plan agreed to.

   This is where we have approval from all the organizations
   that will forward our invitation to their members.

9) Post final survey. Publicize to target audience.

   We want to publicize the survey widely, but focussing on
   people who have some experience with PKI deployment so
   that we aren't overwhelmed with meaningless responses.
   Therefore, we will circulate an invitation to participate
   in the survey by email. Here are some ideas for distributing
   the invitation: ask PKI vendors to send it to customers,
   send to all OASIS members, send to PKI Research Workshop
   attendees, the PKIX working group mailing list, and
   Internet 2 Consortium members. Other ideas are welcome.

   We discussed offering respondents a chance to win a
   prize, but concluded that for this audience the most
   effective reward would be to promise to send them a
   copy of the survey results.

10) Analyze results of survey

   We don't expect that we will need professional help in
   analyzing the results of the survey. Most survey software
   includes some analysis tools. And several members of our
   subcommittee have experience conducting and analyzing
   surveys.

Estimated Timeline
------------------

4/28/03 Agree on survey objectives and sample (target
        audience), implementation plan, and possible timeline.

4/30/03 Verify with PKI TC.

5/7/03  Determine where survey will be hosted and what expense
        will be involved, if any (maybe for software). If funding
        is needed, request from PKI Steering Committee.

5/7/03  Draft publicity plan.

5/7/03  Prepare rough draft survey and get feedback.

5/14/03 Prepare final draft survey.

5/21/03 Test survey with a few respondents to find bugs,
        omissions, etc. Revise as needed.

5/21/03 Have publicity plan agreed to.

5/28/03 Post final survey. Publicize to target audience.

6/14/03 Begin analyzing results of survey.

6/27/03 Complete analysis of survey results.
        Distribute results to PKI TC and to
        respondents.