Subject: Fw: SV: Article of Le Monde.fr / Hans Nilsson

FYI

Jeremy

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2003 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: SV: Article of Le Monde.fr / Hans Nilsson

On behalf of the Dutch government PKI taskforce I am right now looking
into the interoperability (or better mobility) issues related to the use
of different smartcards on diferent card accepting points (reader +
drivers + middleware). If this issues can not be resolved, we are not
going to be able to roll out any kind of generic purpose smartcard be it
a PKI card or other, We can not live with a single-type/vendor-for-all
situation.

We know of a (=ONE) vendor of middleware that supports multiple cards on
multiple platforms.  This may be ok for the nearest future, but we need
more than that if we want to survive the comming years.

We are looking into Finread as well as Area K deliverables. But what is
the real support of these standards? Do they really resolove (some of)
the issues?

If some of us is also facing this challenge (in a practical way),  maybe
we should discuss our problems and findings somehow. Maybe a meeting?

If you are dealing with this issue now, especially from a user
perspective, feel free to contact me personally or via this list.

Edward Hardam

Tor-Hjalmar.Johannessen@telenor.com heeft geschreven:

>The article http://www.lemonde.fr/imprimer_article_ref/0,5987,3244--321098,00.html
>should concern us all, as it (among other issues) adresses the growing awareness of compatibility problems for executing PKI-elements such as the support and combinations of:
>- SmartCard vs.
>- Smart Card Reader vs.
>- OS (Windows / MAC / Unix / Linux /etc etc) vs.
>- Browser (Netscape / Explorer / Opera etc & variations between the versions)
>
>A page showing an incomplete but scaring matrix revealing some combination issues is presented by FinEid:
>http://www.fineid.fi/default.asp?path=4%2CTechnical+information%2F4%2CSmart+card+readers&template=
>

>Another issue concerning SmartCard solutions and SCCP EAL4+ requirements:
>Will a smartcard solution satisfy the CWA EAL4/EAL4+ requirements if the smartcard reader is of the normal cheap type (i.e without dedicated key pad / display etc.)where parts of the signature information (PIN-code, document display etc.) must be routed over OS'es (WIN2000 / NT etc,)which decline to support higher CC evaluation levels than EAL3 ? (Check any CC Evaluated Product List)
>
>Regards
>Tor Hjalmar Johannessen
>Telenor R&D
>Norway
>
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>A BabelFish (incomplete of course) translation of the LeMonde article is enclosed below:
>
>Why the electronic signature remains dead letter the WORLD | 22.05.03 | 13h57? UPDATED the 22.05.03 | 13h58
>
>Three years after the law which conferred the same force as with the handwritten signature to him, the electronic paraph and the functions of coding which are associated for him are long in spreading. The complexity of the organization necessary to its installation rejects the industrialists. Deserted spans, cancelled conferences, dés?uvrés exhibitors... The environment of the Show Infosec 2003, specialized in the computer security, which has been just held from the 20 to May 22 at the CNIT in Paris, slices with the effervescence of the last years. Three years after the adoption of the law on the electronic signature, this one is long in entering the m?urs. Admittedly, the industrialists must have patience so that the decrees of application (2001) and the ministerial decrees (2002) specify the technical and legal conditions giving to the electronic signature the same convincing value as with the handwritten signature. Admittedly, "bubble Internet" burst in the interval, tarin!
g!
> the financings. For as much, one is badly explained the lack of enthusiasm with respect to a technology - the infrastructure with public keys (ICP) - which was presented at one time like the average ideal to establish confidence on Internet. It would allow, announced one, to control the identity of the Net surfers, to guarantee the confidentiality and the integrity of the messages forwarding on the network and to keep the proof that the exchange of documents had taken place well. In short, to use the open network to make circulate significant information, to place from the orders, to sign documents, all expensive things in time and silver in the real world. In the middle of the years 1990, most optimistic counted on a market generated by the ICP of 3,5 billion dollars in 2005. However, in 2002, it would not have exceeded 350 million dollars. BRITISH SECRET SERVICE In theory, the ICP are a tool without rival. They rest on the principle of coding known as asymmetrical, invente!
d!
> into 1973 within the British secret service, then rediscovered by
> Helmann, which in 1976 state the principle of it: to use a pair of keys, of which one is public and makes it possible all to sign or quantify a document, while the other is secret and makes it possible to its only owner to proceed to the opposite operation. In 1978, academics, Ronald Rivest, Adi Shamir and Leonard Adleman, proposed an algorithm allowing to carry out this prowess using prime numbers. Their system, baptized RSA, is with the c?ur solutions ICP suggested today, which rest on attribution with the users of indentity cards numerical, the certificates, standardized and recognized by the majority of the software of navigation or transport. It was enough to increase the length of the keys to put them at the shelter attacks of computers increasingly more powerful and able, from now on, to work in network on all planet. Technology is thus not in cause.C' is its setting in?uvre which poses problem. The regulation envisages a pyramid of actors. It includes/understands dis!
t!
 !
>finances it had to make compulsory the home-bankings of the VAT fo
>lion euros of sales turnover which is forced to buy electronic certificates, The electronic signature however remains confidential. Some start-up try to make it more convivial or attractive. It is the case, for example, of E-picture-Certification.com, which proposes, except ICP, a software making it possible to join an electronic signature with the image of a handwritten signature. The young company Cryptolog ambitionne, for its part, to make the economy of the deployment of key USB or card readers to chip, the usual supports of the certificates to replace them by virtual certificates stored on a distant waiter and protected by algorithms with null knowledge. Others, like Audiosmartcard, sell sound smart cards which avoid the recourse to expensive card readers, since they call upon the microphone of the ordinateurs.Reste to knowing if the market is ripe. The authorities have, on the matter, a major capacity of incentive. The project of indentity card to chip of the ministry f!
o!
 !