Subject: Re: [pki-tc] [Fwd: Good press]

Dear List,

It is good to hear.

I would though be happy to hear the same organization explain
why some of the richest organizations there are, i.e. banks, in
spite of having more than a hundred million of active on-line
users performing vital transactions, only in a few exceptions
use client-side PKI.  And those who do, have effectively forced
their customers to only being able to access their on-line services
from a single place, their home-PC.  This does not appear to
give particularly much credibility to the PKI technology.

Maybe the survey did not consider the mass market?

This would be a mistake.  Mobile phones did not become a
factor in the society until the consumers got them.  I don't think
PKI will be much different.

OTHER PROGRESS

May I report something more positive?   On a conference a
few weeks ago Phillips showed the first consumer-friendly
mobile-phone "PC-companion" system I have seen to date.
They achieved this by combining different RF technologies to
achieve the "smart card feeling++", something the Bluetooth
people have tried for six (!) years without any success.

This, together with the Intel crypto-processor is slowly
but surely paving the way towards making PKI challenge
the current authentication standard (userid/passwords).

Anders R