Subject: ROI Was: [pki-tc] Reports for Education SC for Aug 04 PKI TC

June et al.
May I comment a bit on the ROI issue?

There are three potential sources of ROI
1. Security related cost reductions (less fraud etc.)
2. Administration related cost reductions (eliminating the "userid/password hell")
3. Enabling services that for technical and (sometimes) legal reasons must use PKI

To estimate #1 is probably impossible for all but banks as only banks have
the volume and the statistics needed to do such calculations.   Here I would
like to mention that many banks have lately become hesitant regarding the
EMV card as they have found out that the most fraud problems are on the
Internet and here the EMV card does not work.  Well, theoretically it could
but nobody seems prepared to pay for the readers and software required.
Quite a few banks have therefore implemented server-based payment
schemes like 3D Secure that effectively delays the introduction of "true"
PKI solutions.   This delay may very well turn out to be *indefinite* as
the server-schemes have a huge, and so far mostly unexploited potential.

Regarding #2, SSO is still not a reality in most large organizations, greatly
limiting the value of a PKI.  Another problem is that users nowadays
need to access the Intranet from different locations and devices, making
non-mobile, "fat" solutions like PKI very awkward.

Left is in my opinion #3.  In this segment we almost exclusively find
various public sector related organizations.  Many of these exploit the
primary feature of PKI, One-to-Many-Authentication (rather than only
security which other solutions can offer as well).  If you have

   - Numerous relying parties
  - A common identity system (like national IDs)

then PKI has a lot to offer in terms of ROI (and convenience).

Unfortunately the unavailability of mobile, secure, convenient, de-facto
standard, and cheap "PKI containers" have forced also quite a few of these
customers into the server-schemes offered by SAML et al.  These are often
also using PKI but in very different form.

I think it would be wise to mention somewhere that server-PKI in many
cases have replaced client-PKI due to the fact that the web has become
the media of choice for service providers.   Secure e-mail is not a system
for the masses and this is really the true origin of client-side PKI.

Client-side PKI will come but the private sector will not care much until
it beats passwords from day one.  This is probably some 5-10 years
away and will be the outcome of a rather brutal (de-facto) standards-battle
we see emerging on the horizon.

regards
Anders Rundgren