Subject: Re: [pki-tc] Bridge CA update?

Stephen et al,
To get a fully objective view of this is hard.

At least from my Scandinavian perspective I can safely testify that nobody is
even talking about BCAs.  The reasons are many, here are the most important:

- The governments have found a another architecture for G2G communication.
  This architecture works trust-wise on the domain/org level.
- The Scandinavian PKI market is 100% commercial.
  Commercial certificate vendors don't deal with competitors.
- Federated identity management, SAML and RBAC are more extensible concepts
  than BCAs.
- Secure e-mail is not the primary way to "run a business" these days.
- The European BCA is a political project having no known user support.

Regarding "sector BCAs" I find this idea fairly odd.  Let's say that the
pharmaceutical industry pulls off the SAFE concept.  Doesn't pharmaceutical
companies interact with hundreds of other sectors?  If the SAFE concept is
essentially only targeting the FDA and their counterparts it seems more logical
to run a central CA for those probably rather few people who directly interact
with government agencies.  As governments agencies in different countries
probably also have different requirements, it seems pretty hard to even get
this considerably reduced scheme to work.

It is this context worth mentioning that the US agencies are almost alone in
their decision to use secure mail in their communication with the rest of
the society.  That is, most other countries mainly target the web.

BTW, I think this issue is much more interesting than "to BCA or not" as the
practical consequences are huge to say the least.  Also for PKI.

However, If you put this information in your report it will not be possible to
publish it.  I therefore suggest something like:

  The innovative BCA concept is taking the PKI market by storm.  It was
  conceived by the US federal agencies and has now reached the EU and Asia
  as well.  The private sector have with schemes like SAFE indicated that they
  indeed also support this idea.   The UN is presumed to in the future be running
  a top-level BCA to eventually tie all disparate bridges together, enabling an
  entire world to use secure messaging.

Sincerely
Anders Rundgren
PKI Architect etc. (working for a major computer security company but the views
expressed here are my own and does not necessarily represent that of my employer)