Subject: OASIS Security Symposium strawman proposal

Before the details get crowded out of my ever-filling head, thought I'd
better get this down on paper.  Here's my strawman:

GOAL
----

To put together regional symposiums that focus on security - with an
emphasis on the use of PKI technology - to meet business objectives such
as regulatory compliance, confidentiality, integrity, etc.

TARGET AUDIENCE
---------------

Software developers
IT Architects
IT Managers
Security professionals
IT Auditors

DURATION
--------

Ideally, just one day, but can be stretched to two if theres a real
need, in the Fall of 2005.

LOCATION
--------

Silicon Valley

(Knowledge pushed out here will permeate throughout the industry as
products start using the capabilities)

COST
----

Should be no more than US $50 - $100 for OASIS members; $100-$150
for non-members.

WHY SHOULD WE DO THIS?
---------------------

Annual conferences are usually convenient for just a small group of
people.  With the number of conferences these days, it becomes very
hard to target the ones you want to attend.  Regional symposiums
that are very focused, short, and reasonably priced will provide
significant value to OASIS members, while promoting the goals of
the PKI TC (the use of PKI to solve the world's problems ;-).

Secondly, OASIS (and other like organizations - W3C, IETF) have so
many standards in this area, it is becoming horrendous to keep track
of what is alive, what's dead, what products support which standards
and how does one use them?

This symposium should spend some time sorting out the alphabet soup
of standards, showing their current status, which products and tools
use them, and how do they fit together to solve specific business
problems (see GOAL).

It might even be feasible to have a vendor-expo that showcases the
tools and products that showcase the standards and their usefulness
in the real-world.  This can also help defray some of the costs of
putting this symposium together.

OK, everybody.  Have at it!  Lets add, subtract and modify these
and see if we can get a proposal to the SC and get it approved.
After that, we can figure out the implementation team.

Thanks all, for your patience, this morning.  After what I've been
through in the last 6 weeks in the AG SC, I believe the lack of
information is a primary barrier to adoption.  Hopefully, things
like this can correct that.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.