Subject: Re: [pki-tc] Asia PKI Forum Report

I have some additions to this report.

As you may have noticed, I am interested in the entire information infrastructure
and its use of PKI.  From Japan I have got the information that the government
have a secure LGWAN with some 9000 agencies interconnected.  That is, they,
unlike their US counterparts[*], have realized that smart cards are best
suited for securing access to physical and logical facilities, but are for
many reasons, unfit for securing inter-agency messaging, with e-mail as
a marginally interesting exception.

Anders Rundgren

*] Here we have an odd situation where the people responsible for the FPKI,
the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), do not acknowledge
the need for secure networking that is independent of the relatively slow
development of smart cards.  Due to that, the various federal and state US
inter-agency networks are since decades back creating their own
ad-hoc security schemes, some using PKI, some using other measures.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Wilson" <swilson@lockstep.com.au>
To: <pki-tc@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 03:53
Subject: [pki-tc] Asia PKI Forum Report

Dear TC members

Attached is my trip report from the February meetings of the Asia PKI
Forum in Tokyo.  The document includes much news from PKI applications and
strategic developments in Japan, China, Taipei and so forth.  There is a
special focus on smartcards too.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Stephen Wilson

Lockstep Consulting Pty Ltd
www.lockstep.com.au

11 Minnesota Ave
Five Dock NSW 2046
Australia

P +61 (0)414 488 851

About Lockstep
Lockstep was established in early 2004 by noted authentication expert
Stephen Wilson, to provide independent advice and analysis on cyber
security policy, strategy, risk management, and identity management.
Lockstep is also developing unique new smartcard solutions to address
privacy and identity theft.