Subject: FW: Digital signatures and PKI in the United States

All,

If any of you have a moment to help out a German student working on a thesis, she has some questions below.  She got a failure trying to email directly to the list (which was my suggestion), so if you respond, you might want to email her directly.

=david

From: Barbara Weindl [mailto:barbara.weindl@rl-ag.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 10:03 AM
To: Skyberg, David

Hi David,

Thank you for your response.

I will contact the PKI TC as well. Thank you in advance.

Below there would be some questions for you:

·         For which processes do companies use digital signatures?

·         Do companies in the automotive industry are using digital signatures for example between suppliers and OEM’s? (for example for invoices?)

·         Do they have one certification authority for the whole automotive industry?

(I wrote an e-mail to General Motors and I got the answer that they do not use digital signatures “because they can be easily duplicated”!)

·         Do you know if the pharmaceutical industry is using PKI?

I read that they have a ‘Controlled Substances Ordering System’ which will be handled with PKI. As far as I know the Drug Enforcement Administration will act as the CA.

·         Are there any other areas of applications where pharmaceutical companies are using PKI?

·         Do you know something about the mortgage industry and the energy industry?

·         Do companies in the United States use PKI for document retention?

David that would be some of my questions I have.

Thank you for spending your time.

Greetings,

Barbara