Subject: RE: [pki-tc] Application SC report - August 2005

<Warning, rant ahead!>

Arshad,

It's one of the big challenges to all standards bodies and not just
limited to PKI.  It seems that standards bodies are a bit like IT O/S
and Application product vendors - everybody creates differentiators that
"add value". The result is, in the case of PKI, a lot of product vendors
who won't incorporate certificate-based services into their product
lines because the standards are, in their words, "immature."

We're still faced with the dynamic that I encountered in the WEMA PKI
Interoperability Challenge I co-chaired from 1997 through 2001.  Back
then I stated that the PKI market would never breakout of its
niche-status until everyone involved in the market saw fit to
collaborate and implement an open set of standards that limited the
large number of options to a set of proven interoperable configurations
that simplify the development tasks associated with certificate-based
services that don't dictate which PKI vendor wins above all others.

I always liked the NIST concept of a universal, High-Level Crypto API
that would perform the essential crypto-functions that PKI vendors could
write a glue-layer on one side of the API and product vendors write a
glue layer for the other side.

It would have been a great win-win situation in my opinion. Product
vendors and systems developers would only have to write one (simpler)
interface instead of guessing which PKI vendors might prevail in the
marketplace (admittedly, there are fewer PKI product vendors today, but
there is still more than one which at least double their development
costs). PKI vendors would likely have a smaller share of a vastly larger
market, thus increasing their overall revenues.

Look at the history of the messaging market.  Once SMTP became the
universal protocol, the market expanded nearly at the speed of light.
Ironically, secure messaging hasn't done so well - but that's more from
the impact of the fragmented PKI market than anything else.

Rant off

Paul (who's stating only personal opinion here) Evans