Subject: Re: [pki-tc] Call for input: Asia PKIF Forum Panel Discussion

Anders

Thanks for your input.

I have to say that I think you construct a caricature of security, then
shoot it down, and then extrapolate to reach some fairly extreme
conclusions!

I do not think that enterprise-to-enterprise versus end-to-end is an
either-or dichotomoy.  And I don't think there is a dichotomoy between
smartcard based transactions and cell phone based transactions [I recall
you have argued previously for cell phones to supersede cards].  The world
is a very big place and we will see all these options, and more.  And even
banks will offer (of course) different security options in the form of
multiple products.

What we see in Asia is a huge rollout of smartcards for a very wide range
of "products".  Just today I chatted with the head of a Taiwanese security
integration firm.  He has several smartcards in his wallet:
- a national Health Insurance Card
  (note that doctors here have their own special purpose smartcard)
- a Visa smartcard
- a bank debit smartcard
- a government issued digital certificate card for personal G2C
- a company issued ID card plus transit purse card (combo).

My view is that once people have smartcards that have meaning or authority
over particular domains (like government, employer, profession, bank) then
we should leverage each card to secure any online transactions that the
associated domain happens to offer.  I agree with the position of NIST and
the US PIV card, that only PKI on a cryptographically smart device can
protect against Man In The Middle attack (although unfortunately not all
smartcards on issue right now are PKI cards).

The smartcard is a wonderful form factor for ID-plus-online security. The
only short term problem is the lack of readers.  Note that in Taiwan,
smartcard readers are available in 7-11 stores for US$10.  In large
volumes, there are OEM smartcard readers priced at less than $3.00.

I agree with you Anders that a great many enterprise transactions are best
secured at the gateway (especially from an encryption point of view).
This is a good model indeed, but not the only one, and not a "competitor"
to end-to-end security.

I know from a New Zealand project several years ago that they implemented
government-wide gateway PKI only because they couldn't get smartcards and
client software as they existed back then to work.  They viewed gateway
PKI as effective BUT a compromise, because they lost storng authentication
of individuals.  That is not a bad compromise in many cases; and there are
other ways to get individually auditable proof of origin.  But it is a
compormise nevertheless.

Remember that the traditional problems, overheads and complexity of
individual PKI resulted from poor design and the limitations of soft
certs.  Once we have embedded certs in smartcards, and better
infrastructure support (roll on Longhorn!) the complexity will be deeply
buried.  I think that the physics and mechanical engineering of magnetic
oxide formulations is actually much more complicated than public key
cryptography, so my vision is that smartcards will make PKI as easy to use
as magnetic stripe cards.  This is what I think is the "blueprint for
future PKI".

The answer to your "blunt question" is, sorry, it's the wrong question!
Nothing about smartcards and embedded PKI (especially when used to secure
online access to services) changes the banks' back-end enterprise-to-
enterprise arrangements.  These security models will co-exist.

Cheers,

Stephen Wilson.

> Stephen,
>
> We probably all have our own agendas so I cannot really ask for
> you to run my take on the PKI business, which is essentially saying
> that securing the enterprise and securing enterprise-2-enterprise
> information exchange are two separate issues that IMHO benefit from
> being separated.
>
> In Asia they have apparently bought into the end-to-end security model.
>
> But every financial institution have a different security solution for
backend
> bank-2-bank transactions (like SWIFT) than they have for their employees.

> My blunt question is simply: Do the Asian PKI people believe that banks
> have gotten this wrong and should change to full end-to-end security?
>
> In fact I think this question might as well be answered by the PKI-TC
members
> as it in its simplicity actually holds the blueprint to the PKI of the
future.

> regards
> Anders

embedded/automated
> > client side PKI.  So my initial thoughts about the panel discussion
are
> > listed below.
> >
> > However, I would like to make sure that my presentation is reflective
of
> > the PKI TC.  So please let me have your thoughts too.
> >

> > -- NIST and others have concluded that the only way to prevent Man In
> The
> > Middle attack (a major new vector for phishing and id crime) is PKI-
> > enabled smartcards.  This is a major indicator of the requisite
> widespread
> > use of PKI and smartcards to protect privacy and combat cyber crime.
> >
> > -- Further, PKI offers ways to mask identities via anonymous digital
> > certificates in order to deidentify such transactions as electronic
> health
> > records, e-voting, online census collection etc.
> >
> > -- A major trend in PKI deployment worldwide is embedded digital
> > certificates, whereby the technology is no more complex for users than
> are
> > magnetic stripes on regular plastic cards.  Examples include EMV
> > smartcards, e-passports, national identity cards, national health
> > entitlement cards, and set-top cable TV boxes.
> >
> > -- Smartcards (and related mobile devices like cell phones and PDAs)
can

http://www.lockstep.com.au/library/ehealth/a_novel_application_of_pki_sm

http://www.lockstep.com.au/library/privacy/submission_to_the_2005_senate