Subject: Why did secure e-mail fail? [was: [pki-tc] Re: Transaction PKI ... ]

Anders wrote:

[snip]

> Regarding the ill fate of secure e-mail, I agree, but do not believe that
> this has much to do with limitations in the S/MIME format vs. XML.

The failure of PKI in e-mail is an important case study, and worthy of
attention in its own right.

I feel strongly that PKI-secured e-mail failed and is likely to continue to
fail because fundamentally e-mail doesn't need individualised encryption
nor signatures.  It is not a 'serious' e-business tool.  Digitally signing
an e-mail is about as important as signing a fax on plain paper.  There is
no structure, very little context, very little 'power' in either a plain
paper fax or an e-mail.  I don't think anybody ever needs to validate the
signature on a plain fax, and the same goes for e-mails.

In contrast, PKI really sings in formalised, structured, contextually rich
(not "plain paper") applications, especially where special purpose software
is in place, in which business rules and certificate-based authorisation
can be coded or configured.

It's also important to note I think that e-mail is read by humans, whereas
certificates are read by machines.  The hoary old worked example of
strangers Alice and Bob sending each other e-mails, and taking the time to
read the certificate, locate the CP, and read the CP, in order to decide
whether or not to "trust", is just not good use of PKI.

Cheers,

Stephen Wilson
Lockstep Consulting Pty Ltd
www.lockstep.com.au
ABN 59 593 754 482

11 Minnesota Ave
Five Dock NSW 2046
Australia

P +61 (0)414 488 851

About Lockstep
Lockstep was established in early 2004 by noted authentication expert
Stephen Wilson, to provide independent advice and analysis on cyber
security policy, strategy, risk management, and identity management.
Lockstep is also developing unique new smartcard solutions to address
privacy and identity theft.

as only verylittle information has been published in spite

> >>of

the charter andreality to match, and I have no problems