Subject: Re: [pki-tc] re:[pki-tc] PKI TC Elelction Bio - PKI Vision, Arshad Noor

I apologize for taking so long to respond to this - there
do not appear to be enough hours in a day when you need it
most.

My take on PKI is as follows:

For more than 3 decades in the last century, most businesses
gained "windfall" profits from under-investing in the security
of their computing infrastructure and data.  Many factors
contributed to this windfall gain - the lack of global networks
that could facilitate attacks on their machines; the lack of
access to computers to the average individual to experiment
with technology; the slow transition of business processes
towards using computers, etc.

As we all know, the internet and the dot-com phenomenon changed
all that in less than a decade.  With computers in the remotest
corners of the world, and tens of millions of computers getting
connected to the internet annually, humanity - at least in
industrialized nations - has become extremely dependent on
computers for its "normal" way of life.  The government and the
economy simply cannot function without computers anymore!

In order to ensure that civilizations do not descend into anarchy,
society must maintain order in its economy and government.  With
each new disclosure of a breach, or with the release of new forms
of attacks, it has become apparent that the enemy (whoever that
may be) has determined the achilles heel of industrialized nations.

In order to preserve and continue to build on what we have so far,
it is imperative we take our business processes and computing
infrastructure to new levels.  New models of computing, and new
models of businesses demand new models for security.

Public-key cryptography plays a central role (at least in my
opinion) in this new model of security.  It is one of the few
technologies that delivers many business benefits with a single
technology: authenticity, integrity and confidentiality of
information.  Few other technologies can claim to providing
three such critical elements of security within a single
implementation.

While certain factors have conspired to make PKI synonymous with
failure, it is my hope that through concerted efforts of the
PKI-TC, we can change this perception.

Thank you.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.