pki-testing message

Subject: Re: [pki-testing] Subcommittee start-up

Sorry to hear about your accident, Paul; that explains why I
hadn't heard from you in a while.  Hopefully, all is well now.

One of the difficulties of inter-operability testing in PKI is
that people have different notions of what it means.  It might
be useful for us to establish an anchor first, so we know what
the basis is.

For example, the DRAFT plan focuses on three capabilities:

1) Signing
2) E-mail
3) E-Commerce

Since #1 is a capability, and #2 & #3 are really applications, it
might be better to redefine the capabilities separately, and then
establish the applications that we want to test interoperability
with.

I propose that we define five (5) capabilities:

1) Signing;
2) Encryption;
3) Certificate-based authentication (which really is a
    derivative of #1, but we'll list it separately anyway);
4) Certificate validation using OCSP;
5) Certificate validation using CRLDP;

Given these capabilities, the 2 most important applications are

a) E-mail
b) E-commerce

While e-mail is simple enough, e-commerce is really a collection
of functions; it may become necessary to zone in on what specific
activities within e-commerce do we want to test the above five
capabilities.  Since I (fortunately, or unfortunately :-)) have
the task of clarifying "e-commerce" as part of the Applications
Guidelines SC, I will take it upon myself to provide more detail
there in a few weeks (I'm out of the office all of next week).

I would recommend that we look at OpenSSL or Mozilla for a vendor-
independent suite of test tools.  Both libraries have the ability
to verify all 5 capabilities (from an RP's perspective), and we
should consider using one or both of these tools.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.