Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Modelling Questions

A comment on 2)...

In general I agree that standardization, generality and flexibility have to
be weighed against using the most efficient model possible for a particular
purpose when implementations decisions are made. However, unless the files
become huge or are tiny, the overhead of standardization, generality and
flexibility seldom make a big enough difference in real-world data exchange
for people to give up the standardization, etc. That often only leaves
complexity as the issue... and approaches like high level APIs/Business
Objects deal with that.

Note that the above point of view doesn't necessarily apply to internal
database design, real-time systems or transaction/messaging systems, I'm
only describing data exchange.

Cheers,
David