Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Classification of type and individual

Please be careful here. Actual individuals are members of the class defined by their design. However, actual individuals are not necessarily members of all the classes of which their design is a member. Classification is not transitive. I realize that a lot of classification in PLCS replaces subtyping, however that’s not true for all PLCS classifications.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Bodington [mailto:rob.bodington@eurostep.com]
Sent:
07 March 2005 13:38
To: 'Gyllström Leif'; plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org

Thinking about this a bit more …..

I think that this approach will get really complicated.

Imagine I have a bike design classified as an “ordinary” bike.

I then build an individual bike from this design.

The individual bike will be classified as an “ordinary” bike.

I then make a modification to my individual bike, so it is now a “Souped up bike”.

The change was not a change to a design, but to my individual bike so “Souped up bike”

is not a classification of the design, but a classification of my individual bike.

So can we be sure that:

a)       all classifications of the typical apply equally to the actual thing being classified.

b)       If we classify a typical will that classification apply to all of the actual things

I’m not convinced (yet)

Regards
Rob

Rob Bodington