Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] RE: Capability property value ranges

Title: RE: [plcs-dex] RE: Capability property value ranges
Hi Peter, (all)
sorry for the delay in response - I am now tasked on other things.

I have researched what the original problem was and why there was a need to manage documents separately from the other properties - so hopefully we will be able to move ahead on this issue.

Product properties are applied through the product_view_definition entity, as shown within C076 assigning_product_properties.
However, in the DIS version of AP239, the Document_definition entity was not part of the subtype hierarchy for product_view_definition. This is the main reason, as I understand it, a separate capability had to be created to describe how to assign properties to documents.

Hence capability C087 - assigning_document_properties was created and introduced the other document specific property representations (descriptive_document_property & numerical_document_property). This capability links with C005 - Representing documents where the old hierarchy is still visible - see Fig 3 and described in the section on document_definition below Fig 5.

The benefit of the model is that it enforces the associations between the types of document properties (above) and the products to which they should be associated with (i.e. types of files or document_definitions). Reference data would need to be developed along with the relevant templates to complete this. There are also rules where specific combinations of various values which are enforced (I'll discuss this later), for which reference data would also need to be addressed.

However, it is now possible to associate general properties to document_definitions and files without recourse to those specific entities above, because in the IS version of AP239, Document_definition is a subtype of product_view_definition. This needs to be reflected in C005.

As the model now stands, either approach is possible, including a mixture which does not help implementers decide how to code for the differences in the model. In general the model is presently able to be abused and even circular in the assignments which seem possible (e.g. through document_assignment I can now assign a document_version to another document_version which seems rather clumsy.!).

Not all of the rules and constraints are documented in the capabilities. In particular (hinted at earlier), Document_property_representation has a function which restricts the values of the .name attributes of document properties assigned. Hence for a document_property_representation with a .name of "document content" the document property.name must be one of "detail value", 'geometry type', or 'real world scale'. If 'document creation' is used then it restricts to one of 'creating interface', 'creating system', or 'operating system' etc..

Clearly, this function needs to be removed or re-engineered now as it enforces certain combinations of the .name attributes for Document_property_representation and the Representation.items, which should probably be given in reference data to be consistent with the rest of the approach. Else, we shall get errors for using /IGNORE in those places. However, I think these points may be compensated through careful reference data structuring.

In general, I am probably more in favour of keeping a tighter spec/model than a more relaxed and generic solution because of the possible downstream mis-use. By removing C087 in favour of the generic model for product properties we will lose the documentation of that part of the model while we still do not remove the document proprty entities from the AP239 schema. However, removing the capability would restrict relevant DEXs to only use the generic mechanism. This may lead to inconsistencies in representations across data wharehouse and exchange file implementations.

I think what we may gain in a generic template we may lose in wider interoperability and increased processor coding.

From what I understand C076 caters for the general product property model which thererfore, covers assigning general properties to document_definitions & is reflected in the template design.

I would like to hear from others whether there is any other feeling regarding removal of the document property model as I see no harm in keeping it & refining a C076 template for it when required. It may even help to separate out some of the reference data in this area. However, I am open to more informed persuasion.

regards,
Tim