Subject: SV: SV: SV: SV: FW: [plcs-dex] External_class_library usage

Even if all of the questions doesn't yet have definitive answers, I agree that a summary of this discussion would be a great idea. I think that the identification of a number of existing questions is a good result in it self, which we can continue to work with, now when it looks like we're about to start working within OASIS again.

Regards,
  Mats

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: David Price [mailto:david.price@eurostep.com]
Skickat: den 23 december 2006 03:27
Till: plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Peter,

You can use multiple ontologies in the same exchange file. However, if you
ever want to do any validation then you have to define one that imports all
the others. So, your example (altered to use id not name):

External_class.id = urn:plcs:rdl:std#Serial_identification_code
External_class_library.id = urn:plcs:rdl:myproject:refdata.rdl

is exactly what I've been saying we should do provided that
urn:plcs:rdl:myproject:refdata.rdl imports urn:plcs:rdl:std either directly
or indirectly. This tells a post-processor that the classes that can be used
in the exchange file are all defined in or imported into
urn:plcs:rdl:myproject:refdata.rdl. You only need on instance of
External_class_library per file in this approach.

Also, urn:plcs:rdl:myproject:refdata.rdl can import any number of ontologies
and so

External_class.id = http://www.dod.mil/dodaf/sv1/WeaponsSystem

can be used too, as long as http://www.dod.mil/dodaf/sv1 was imported  into
urn:plcs:rdl:myproject:refdata.rdl as well.

These ontologies also have to specify the PLCS entity types to which the
classes are applicable. That's why you can't just pick any old class you want
and put its URI in for External_class.id ... you'd have no way to validate it
was being used correctly.

Conceptually, this approach is a lot like if you implemented the short form of
an EXPRESS schema. Because of the distributed nature of OWL, this approach
works quite easily in that language where it's very difficult to deal with in
EXPRESS (e.g. you have to import an entire ontology but you can use/reference
subsets of an EXPRESS schema).

I think I need to write this up more carefully so it makes sense to everyone.
It's hard to follow/explain in a string of emails.

Cheers,
David

--
Mobile +44 7788 561308