Subject: Questions regarding Next_assembly_usage

I’m updating the cap representing_assembly_structures to make sure it follows recent rules ión attribute usage and templates, and

I have the following questions regarding Next_assembly_usage (and other related relationship entities).

I need the PLCS communities view on the following.

  1. Is an instance of Next_assembly_usage always bound to have an identifier assigned?
  2. Should it always have a classification, i.e. asg_ref_data (required by template repr_assembly_structure)?
  3. Should the attribute location_indicator be used as is, or is there any reason for using e.g. asg_descriptor or asg_identification_with_no_organization (required by template repr_promissary_usage) instead?

IMHO, the answer is probably:

yes for #1, because the assembly is often referred to as an assembly (not the constituents), and everybody will have to be able to read and write it anyhow. It is easier to have a rule that requires it to be there at all times, than to supply it on a needs basis. Furthermore, different organizations will need the id, and if it is supplied from the beginning much hassle is over.

No for #2, since many assemblies will be fine just using Neaxt_assembly_usage without subclassing it to e.g. BOM or Spare Parts List. It should be possible to assign reference data to it in order to be explicit, but not a requirement.

Use the attribute, for #3. The only thing that might not work with this approach is if different organizations require different strings for the location indicator, but I think it is a long shot. Why would a circuit board be re-labeled? Also, for really complicated installations (ships, power plants, etc) the breakdown structure is more fit to be used than the assembly structure, and there you have the possibility to talk about the ‘slot’ or location as a breakdown_element, while the equipment fitted in the location is a Part or Product_as_individual.

I think it is incorrect to use the asg_id for the location, as is done in template repr_promissary_usage. I don’t think the location is always an ID (‘left wing’ for example), and certainly not an ID of the assembly (Next_assembly_usage).

Peter

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Eurostep Group. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.