Subject: RE: PLCS Concept Model

Hi Mats

Just a comment on the colour

I’m not sure if you saw this page

Basically the colours are intended to group together concepts

Regards
Rob

Dr Rob Bodington
Eurostep Limited
Web Page:
http://www.eurostep.com
Email: Rob.Bodington@eurostep.com
Phone: +44 (0)1452 810 960
Mobile: +44 (0)7796 176 401
Skype: rbodington

Eurostep Limited. Registered in England and Wales No.03049099

Registered Office: Cwttir Lane, St. Asaph, Denbighshire LL17 0LQ.

From: plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of mats.nilsson@fmv.se
Sent: 19 October 2012 13:52
To: plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [plcs-dex] PLCS Concept Model

All,

I have, as a result of the ongoing Reference Data project, been looking more closely at the PLCS Concept Model (http://www.plcs.org/plcslib/plcslib/data/PLCS/psm_model/model_base.htm) and have some comments, suggestions and questions;

First of all, to avoid any doubt, I’d like to state that I believe that the PLCS Concept Model (PCM) is a really important part of PLCSlib, because it describes the scope of the PLCS SysML Model (PSM) as well as the terminology used within the standard. This is really important for all, and especially for persons new to the standard.

But, I think there are things with it that can be improved (and the following list is not complete);

-          There are things that are incorrect and needs to be corrected (e.g. a “State_definition” is not a “State”).

-          I believe the PCM can be confused of actually being “our model” (the PSM) when presented in an UML-ish style. I’d rather have it using boxes with rounded corners with actual English language terms in the same way as the Reference Data now has (“class labels”), and not these “element names” with underscores binding their parts together.

-          The relationships could be more clearly expressed (“method utilizes product” is not that informative).

-          The provided definitions need to be aligned with the ongoing work on Reference Data for the PSM.

-          And what’s with the coloring…, does it add any value?

I have a (not completed regarding content nor layout) suggestion that I believe show my intensions (http://cmapspublic3.ihmc.us/rid=1L1GTXGHK-1DGD9CB-5T/The%20PLCS%20Concept%20Model.cmap). Please have a look and provide feedback! And as said earlier, I believe it is important, otherwise I wouldn’t bother with it!

So, is there funding in place for doing this? There is funding for implementing the final result, but we all need to cooperate (by replying to this e-mail) in order to produce a result (see link above) we all are happy with. I plan to put in quite some effort during the autumn for this, and I hope for your support, even if it is only reviewing and providing comments.

Regards,

Mats Nilsson

Systems Engineer, Information Architect

FMV – Swedish Defence Materiel Administration

SE-115 88 Stockholm, Sweden

Tel: +46 8 782 47 24 Mobile:+46 70 267 47 24

E-mail: mats.nilsson@fmv.se

Web: www.fmv.se