plcs-task message

Subject: DEX 3 Status

Team

Please note the content of the attached e-mail trail. To save you reading it
all, the bottom line is

"DEX3 on hold for the moment, except for work being done by Sean."

I'll get back to you when the situation changes.

John

--- Begin Message ---
Hi Trine

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with what you say "best to consider DEX3 on hold for the moment". I
will wait to hear from you to start the re-vitalisation process. Could you
feed this decision into the "PLCS Resource Spreadsheet" as issued by Chris
Kreiler on Friday.

Thanks again, good luck with the synchronization project and I hope to hear
from you soon.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Trine.Hansen@dnv.com [mailto:Trine.Hansen@dnv.com]
Sent: 02 November 2004 07:46
To: John Spencer
Subject: RE: [plcs] DEX Team 3

Hi John.

Carl also contacted me about DEX 3 and I answered:

"Carl-Johan.

As far as I know Sean Barker is the only person that is active in the
development of DEX D003 at the moment. He works to finalise the capabilities
to a review level. It is very good news if a real project now need the DEX.
John Spencer is the team leader (and might know the situation better than
me). My impression is that development of this DEX has been set on "hold" -
except for the modeller activities - in anticipation of a real project need.

As you might know we have started a workshop series between ongoing PLCS
pilots to synchronize interpretations of the PLCS data model. Simultaneous
we will verify some of the capabilities and DEX1 with respect to a real data
need. If you plan revitalisation of the "Task set" DEX I will strongly
recommend you to join this work, at least await some results from this work.

You can see the latest version of DEX3 at DEXLib. If you have problems with
the access, please let me know."

Personally I have recommended a "break" in most of the DEX development and
await recommendations from the on-going "Synchronization" project. The
"mammoth" DEXs we are developing in OASIS are very large and very generic.
If the objective is to develope unambiguous DEX specifications, we probably
have to focus more on real needs. Today's capabilities may be more like user
guidance to the PLCS data model than implementer specifications (they are
all candidates for interpretations).

We are now developing the "example" DEX "Equipment and parts" in the
Synchronization workshops and we might end up with some interesting
conclusions. Among other things we have agreed on a set of DEX requirements,
and unfortunately no of the OASIS DEXs fulfil these requirements at the
moment.

One of the deliveries from the "Synchronization" project is recommendations
for a way forward.

I feel comfortable with the situation that DEX 3 is on "hold" for a while.
The procedure/method for developing DEXs may look different after the
"Synchronisation" workshops this fall.

Best regards

Trine

  _____