plcs-tog message

Subject: Tech Corigendum

Hi

I would like the TOG to make a policy decision regarding the development of a technical corrigendum for PLCS.

We are in the process of writing a number of templates and implementing translators based on them.

As we do this, we are identifying some issues wrt to the PLCS EXPRESS. In the main this is to do with selects not being extended, but there are some other issues involving new entities.

The question is, how should we develop the templates?

We can either:

1)       Document the templates using the ISO 10303-239 ed1 EXPRESS, and point out the errors and provide work arounds (not always possible).
This will mean that we are using the current ISO standard
However, it will mean that we are recommending an approach (via the work arounds) that we know will change

2)       or correct the EXPRESS, document it in DEXlib and state that if you are using PLCS according to the DEXs, then you need to use the version on DEXlib.
Having documented it on DEXlib, produce a TC against PLCS.
This will mean that we are documenting the templates once.
However, once we produce a TC, we may need to use some of the 2nd editions of the modules. As no one from PLCS has being following the 2nd editions technically, there is a possibility that the ARMs have changed. Furthermore, we need to avoid opening a pandoras box resulting in a lot of new stuff being added.
Right now, there is no effort identified in the project to generate the TC.

So, the question is "what is the policy advocated by the TOG"?

My view is that we should go with option 2 … and several templates have gone down this route.

Of course that means that we need to secure funding to develop the TC. However, that does not necessarily need to be done immediately, so long as all users of PLCS are aware of the fact that they need to use the DEXlib version of the EXPRESS

Regards
Rob

Rob Bodington
Eurostep Limited
Web Page:
http://www.eurostep.com http://www.share-a-space.com
Email: Rob.Bodington@eurostep.com
Phone: +44 (0)1452 810 960 (note new number)
Mobile: +44 (0)7796 176 401

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Eurostep Group. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.