plcs-tog message

Subject: RE: [plcs-tog] Question about SEDS and identification of schemas

Hi Rob,

I think we should get a WGN number for whenever the schema gets updated.

We should have an archive repository of all schemas, with their id, date & name - for each release (e.g. the mim.exp, arm.exp, arm.xsd ..). This can just be a .zip file in short term. The repository can be named something like plcs-schema-edition-1.zip

All previous editions released should be made available individually or as a set.

We should use the WGN number but perhaps with the same suffix for the new files; e.g. plcs-arm-lf-wgn2122.exp for identifying the file in dexlib.

I assume that with a change of schema, *before* it is submitted, that all existing templates & DEX schemas are validated as still being upwardly compatible and that if this is not the case, that any incompatibilities & their impacts are summarily publicised to [core team|plcs-tog|plcs-all] in advance.  I would further presume that this would allow concerned people to raise objections/assess impacts/gear people up for change etc..This would (probably) need to be done in dexlib mirror system ... or DEXLIB test environment, prior to getting a WGN number.

Question: When the new schema is loaded, should Dexlib regenerate the other dependent schemas (i.e. DEX longforms) such that the new elements are made available - or should that be left to each DEX's editor to sort out? The latter might not be so easy where editors are no longer active or funded. The impact is that we will not be able to guaranttee compatibility if we do not automatically update schemas. This should be of concern to many since it would affect legacy DEXs (darn - did I just say DEX & legacy in the same sentence?), current & developing DEXs alike.

I know this was meant to be a simple question, but the CM impacts do also need to be discussed & the procedures agreed upfront.

regards,
Tim

From: Rob Bodington [mailto:rob.bodington@eurostep.com]
Sent: 13 June 2007 03:39
To: plcs-core@eurostep.com; plcs-tog@lists.oasis-open.org; Howard.Mason@baesystems.com

Hi

As you know PLCS has been published and we are exchanging data based on the published PLCS ARM.

As we have been developing the DEXs, we have raised a number of SEDS against the schema – mainly select extensions and a few backward compatible new entities in message and observation.

We have made these changes to the schema on DEXlib:

http://www.plcs-resources.org/plcs/dexlib/docs/ap239/ap239_arm_lf.exp

At some stage in the future, these will be published as a Technical Corrigendum

You can see them if you select the EXPRESS / AP239 link at:

http://www.plcs-resources.org/plcs/dexlib/dex_index.htm

This process has been agreed.

The question is, how should we identify the schema?

Should we request a WGN number form SC4 and use that to identify the schema?

Can we do that prior to developing the Technical Corrigendum?

What do other APs do?

Regards
Rob

Rob Bodington
Eurostep Limited
Tel: +44 (0)1452 810 960
Mobile: +44 (0)7796 176 401
Email: Rob.Bodington@eurostep.com
Web:
http://www.eurostep.com

Eurostep Limited. Registered in England and Wales No.03049099

Registered Office: Cwttir Lane, St. Asaph, Denbighshire LL17 0LQ.

DISCLAIMER: ***SECURITY LABEL: NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED***   The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error. This e-mail originates from LSC Group Ltd. Registered in England & Wales No 2275471 Registered Office: Devonport Royal Dockyard, Devonport, Plymouth, PL1 4SG, having a place of business at Lincoln House, Wellington Cresent, Fradley Park, Lichfield, Staffordshire WS13 8RZ and at Catherine House, 40a St Thomas Street, Weymouth, Dorest DE4 8EH. VAT number: GB 655 1330 55