plcs message

Subject: FW: [plcs] RE: DEX 8

Title: Message
Here's a copy of the other email sent yesterday but was mangled by the exploder!

kind regards,
Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: tim turner [mailto:tim_the_intrepid@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: 24 August 2004 19:24
To: john.dunford@eurostep.com; timturner11@bellsouth.net; 'Hendrix, Thomas E'
Cc: 'Robert M Mcbride (E-mail)'; 'Plcs (E-mail)'
Subject: RE: [plcs] RE: DEX 8

John & others interested in Dex8!

thanks you for your kind insights. I like your example, though I think it raises more questions than answers.

First, we need to get the existing stages & scenarios straight - so we can get to the stage you  are talking about.
For example, a "product as planned" (PAP) might add a line/assembly no during the manufacturing life cycle stage. However, at the in-service stage of life, the identifier for the PAP may be empty, the end user instead relying upon the part number. Once the parts are fitted, the PAP is enhanced using the "product as realized" (PAR) and the serial number provided. It seems more likely that an OEM will have access to and need the PAP line/assembly information (e.g. a large distributed manufacturer like Boeing perhaps?) rather than an end user. I have generated a table & some thoughts/notes on each in the attached spreadsheet.

Incidentally I think we need to be careful in the combinations of  these identifiers, life cycle stages and the implications of the concepts such as design, planned & realized to ensure that we are not contradicting ourselves. For example, should a product_as_realiazed be the defined_version of a view_definition_context that has the life cycle/domain set to design rather than in-service? Is "in-service" a valid entry for the RDL - I couldn't find it.

Second, your example refers to "after-market" parts which are, as you say not generally refered to through their serial numbers since they are mainly generic designs - e.g. one design generally "fits all". However, some manufacturers state that you invalidate any product warranties unless you use their own after market products. I presume that using a brand made by the same manufacturer (or approved manufacturer) gives the customer a) continued warranty, b) tested interoperability  c) the  functionality desired and d) perhaps a configuration option in the design data set. Such manufacturers are more likely to have serial numbers for these parts that can be used in the PAR.

Thirdly, when planning to add a new after-market part (as in the child seat example), I agree that you will likely not know the serial number ahead of time, until it arrives for fitting. This seems to be in contrast to C045 (representing_product_as_realized) which which says "The Product_as_planned represents a proposed or planned artefact. It is identified by its serial number which is represented by assigning an identifier classified as "Serial_identification_code" to the Product_as_planned.".

Fourthly, if the additional parts are not represented as configuration options in the design, pap or par, are we to expect that we will then need to create a new version of the product as described in C045 (representing_product_as_realized)?

This raises the question of whether we expect to get a representation of the supplied part in an exchange file or not. Next, should we expect this to be of the design, pap or par? Or would we expect to manually carry out this update to the data set we have for the product already in service? Lastly, do we need to consider recording any feedback or status of the new part in the product (and hence require updated support solutions), or are we to consider just those existing requirements, but against a product whose configuration is now modified?

I think that perhaps complex equipment such as weapon systems will/should have their own support solutions and configuration management etc.. The question is wether that information should be merged into the product as a whole or handled separately. The interfaces are perhaps the most iimportant aspects to get right. In this sense, I may have a computer to which I add a peripheral - e.g. a printer. But does adding the printer change the configuration of the PC - or just enable the functionality already provided for? Should the printer configuration and support solution be merged into that for the rest of the PC or handled separately? Again, the interfaces seem to be the most critical things to get right here.

I guess that some classes of weapon systems may be part of the overall design and during service, would be represented in the PAR. However, at what level do items such as the ammunition get handled? In one way I could see these almost as consumables. I guess that these get planned for re-supply on a regular basis, rather than a refit for this.

BTW, I - for my sins, have been asked to look at getting Dex8 fit for purpose..

Kind regards,
Tim