plcs message

Subject: RE: [plcs] Input to "Synchronize" workshop #3

Title: Input to "Synchronize" workshop #3
Agree.
But until all stakeholders apply the same langauge for support, isn't neccessary that stakholders can recognise their own languages in the DEX names?
One solution could be reference data: Apply the PLCS language as standard reference data and stakeholders terminology as "local" reference data.
What should the PLCS name on the DEX be? It should then not contain "equipment" or "BOM".

Trine

From: Gordon Robb [mailto:gor@lsc.co.uk]
Sent: 18. november 2004 10:45
To: Hansen, Trine
Cc: Gordon Robb (E-mail); plcs@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Trine,
Thanks for your response to my marked up comments to your workshop agenda.
I do have a very serious problem with one of your responses...............................................

My original comment of "Don't fully understand this statement. The intent is to "exchange assured product and support information (APSI) in respect to an equipment and its parts. The source of the representation is not required. Use AP239 terminology instead of another reinvention. Suggest new scope statement to read 'To exchange assured product and support information in respect to an equipment and its parts'"

This was trying to remove the 'old speak' from the statement of intent. In the worldwide Configuration management standards 'we' have been trying desperately to lose the old terms and definitions [currently CM standards EIA 649A // draft EIA HB649 //STANAG 4159 // STANAG 4427 // ISO 10007 // D S 05-57/4 are nearly aligned].

In AP239 PLCS we 'teamed' with the US 649 and 836 teams to ensure our and their terminology were consistent and mutually agreed. The latest issue of 649A reflects this. The purpose of all this work was to remove the old fashioned atitude to CM and its management of change process and to introduce a seamless business process for a through life acivity of supporting the product  - AP239

The AP239 APSI definition refers to the 649A definition Product Configuration Information to which it is an alias

The business terms should not be any less than the ones we use within a standard, it prevents ambiguity across the wide community, and also spreads the use of terminology that is defined for use in the 21st century. As a business user I would create my business case from the latest standard.

Your comment in return

"The reason for not using terminology as "assured" and "product" is to be business specific. In a long-term range it is important that business people recognise DEX names without knowledge of the PLCS terminology. PLCS terminology may become invisible to business people."

My reaction is one of dismay.

As stated above the definitions created were to allow a worldwide approach to universal terminology and not to try to keep 'STEP' (or  any other standard) as a black art.

I would have thought that part of the AP 239 integration into business processes would include a correlation of definitions ( RDL subject matter?)

Regards

Gordon