plcs message

Subject: Rejection of identified ballot issues based on lack of funding

All,

I’m not at all happy with the way the discussions went during the Ballot Resolution Workshop regarding resolving identified issues. A lack of funding is not a valid ground for rejecting an issue. I’m interested to get the committee specification out as soon as possible, but I also want all relevant issues to be resolved. It might be acceptable to ignore an issue in this edition (Version R1) and decide to postpone the resolving of it to the next edition. But to simply ignore issues is not a suitable way of handling the situation. A list of unresolved/postponed issues should accompany the specification if that is to be the case.

This situation emphasis the need to have a stable set of funds available for continuous activities within the TC such as;

-          setting up webex and telecon meetings

-          coordination between DEX development activities (actual DEX development projects should be funded separately based on actual needs)

-          resolving of general technical issues (TOG and Core Team activities)

-          maintenance and improvement of development infrastructure

-          resolution of ballot comments

This “stable set of funds” must be achieved in some way. An agreement between the larger players (government orgs, BAE, SAAB, DNV, …) of an annual commitment (two-three year contract with a possible one year prolongation discussion each year) to provide this funding is one possibility which we should discuss. FMV is positive to such an arrangement, if based on a well described planning and realistic budget. The situation as it is of today, and has been for the last years, is not acceptable for much longer!

I understand that there are urgent needs for this committee specification to be available soon. FMV also has such a need, but perhaps not as urgent. To ignore a relevant issue based on the lack of funding is not (as stated before) an option. Enough funding must be made available to enable the release of a product with acceptable quality. FMV is contributing with more than half a million Swedish kronor (€ 60 000) to this activity (both for DEX related issues as well as for issues related to Reference Data).

We can discuss this further during the OASIS PLCS TC telecon on Monday.

Regards,

  Mats Nilsson

http://www.fmv.se

 Mats Nilsson
AK Logistik - SamO Log

Logistics Procurement Command

Logistics Technical Coordination Office

SE-115 88 Stockholm, Sweden
Visiting address: Banérgatan 62

Telephone: +46 8 782 47 24
Mobile: +46 70 267 47 24
E-mail: mats.nilsson@fmv.se

”Utan tvivel är jag inte klok” - Tage Danielsson - ”I am, without a doubt, not wise”