Subject: RE: [pmrm] Groups - Privacy Policy Must-Haves (Strawman PrivacyPolicy Template.doc) uploaded

Actually the recent California ruling was very narrow. It upheld a 1971 law on credit cards, specifically a provision (Civil Code sec. 1747.08) limiting the collection of personal information by merchants accepting payment by credit card for a consumer purchase (for personal, family or household use). The Court held that zip codes met the definition of personal information for the purpose of this provision (only).

b) For purposes of this section "personal identification

information," means information concerning the cardholder, other than

information set forth on the credit card, and including, but not

limited to, the cardholder's address and telephone number.

Joanne McNabb, CIPP, CIPP/G, CIPP/IT

Chief

California Office of Privacy Protection

915 Capitol Mall, Suite 200

Sacramento, CA 95814

Phone: 916-651-1057

Fax: 916-653-3815

joanne.mcnabb@scsa.ca.gov

www.privacy.ca.gov

Stay connected! Join us on Facebook and Twitter.