pps-comment message

Subject: Re: [pps-comment] TAB Reviewer for PPS-Core-Elements-1.0, PPS-Transaction-Message-1.0,PPS-Profile-Specifications-1.0

Dear Yasu,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Another comment or two below.

On 3/13/2010 12:24 AM, Yasuyuki Nishioka wrote:
> Dear Patrick,
>
> Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
> All of them are very helpful for us.
> Personally, I would start reading documents
> you suggested, and try to learn the style of
> most useful and valuable documentations in the
> world.
>
> Short notes I would say for your comments are:
> first, we intentionally use "SHULD" as the
> definition in RFC 2119. According to Part 1,
> PPS allows a software to use "id" attribute that
> is not an identifier of the object (not XML
> element but real world object or record of RDB
> etc.). Semantic definition is agreed among
> parties by profile specifications defined in
> Part 3.

I remain puzzle by your use of "should" for a couple of reasons.

The following comments may help your committee make clear the reasons
for its choice.

When you say that semantic definition is agreed among the parties, I
would agree but for part 3 also using "should" which leaves even the
terms of the semantic definition itself up to agreement.

Hmmm, trying to think of a clear example, ... the following which may or
may not be helpful:

Say that I have two parties that are trying to exchange information that
depends on what is meant by the terms red, blue and green.

OK, so we write a standard that says,

1) If you mean "red" then you should use the string #FF0000

2) If you mean "blue" then you should use the string #0000FF

3) If you mean "green" then you should use the string #008000

And, in the profile part we say:

4) You should use "red" to mean #FF0000

5) You should use "blue" to mean #0000FF

6) You should use "green" to mean #008000

Now, remembering that these are *all* the terms we have defined:

Party A sends to party B a profile that says:

-- blue means #00FF00 (lime actually)

Which is perfectly permitted by the "should" clauses we have defined for
the normative standard and the profile.

But, I don't suspect it is what we intended when we wrote the standard.

That is to say even though we want to *enable* the declaring of a
semantic between parties with a profile mechanism, that profile
mechanism is using definitions that have boundaries that are expected
between any parties that are using the standard.

I would expect the definitions in parts 1 and 2, therefore, to *not* use
"should" as those are the foundational semantics to be interchanged.

I would not expect a profile to use "should" but rather to allow
*defined alternative choices* to be declared so that a user is always
certain of the choices that may be communicated to them.

One of the principles of markup that isn't discussed as often now as say
twenty years ago (blush, I am showing my age) is the need for *blind
interchange.* That is markup should not depend on private or out of band
understandings of the semantics of the markup.

Each such understanding *decreases* the value of the markup and, perhaps
more importantly, *increases* the cost of using the standard for every
user. The cost of use increases because the user must ascertain the
semantics of every instance of markup they encounter, which greatly
increases the cost of using that particular markup system.

Imagine if for every document in OpenDocument Format or OpenXML format
you received that your application depended upon discovering what was
meant by the markup in that particular document. It isn't hard to see
that the seamless interchange of documents and spreadsheets upon which
we depend every day would quite rapidly breakdown.

That is the increase in cost side. The decrease in value is no less
important from the standpoint of adoption of your standard. Why would I
want to use a standard where I have to take additional steps simply to
have others understand what I meant? Steps beyond what the standard
requires? That makes decreases the value of the markup to me as a user.

Apologies for the length of that comment! Some of the original traffic
on issues like this went on and on and on. It is a difficult issue and
one that we need to get right so that others can benefit from your work.

> The basic idea behind is that validation software
> doesn't need only XML schema, but also profile
> informations that cover semantic mapping between
> software applications. I'm not sure that success
> of communication can be defined either in computer
> level or business level.

Well, yes, there are limits even to what can be expressed in standards
but then we don't write standards for things that cannot be communicated
or standardized. Or at least we shouldn't. Reasonable people will
disagree as to exactly where that boundary lies.

Hope you are at the start of a great week!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net