pps message

Subject: Re: PPS Core Elements -- ontology problem

Jim,

Very good point!! We have actually noticed the problem after
completion of first version of the draft. Yes, the original
specification doesn't have clear distinction between type and
instance in representing primitive objects.

However, the latest version, which is according to the PSLX
ontology published in the PSLX white paper in Jan 2005, has
a concept considering the problem. See also
http://www.pslx.org/en/pub/WP-01EN-ALL.pdf

In primitive elements, item, resource and function (this corresponding
to operation in the first version) are type data. And
lot, task and operation (this is dispatch in the first version)
are instances, respectively.

In this definition, you might be confused by the term "resource",
where we define resource as a source of capacity that can do
various tasks in real world. In other words, "Machine-001" is
a instance of item if it is produced by mother-machine.
At the same time, it is a "type" of tasks that produce something
in a particular method.

In this sense, two physical machines are exactly equal to one
other machine that has same capacity and capability in scheduling
and planning problem. Of course, there is another task allocation
problem to clarify the resource allocation.

Thank you for the valuable comment.
We apologise that the latest version is not readable in English
so far. The bilingual version of draft-04-jp will be uploaded
as soon as possible.

Yasu
Chair of PPS-TC, Hosei University

Date Fri, 20 May 2005 15:43:02 -0400