pps message

Subject: Re: PPS Core Elements -- ontology problem

Jim,

We have to go back to your first question because I didn't
make a correct answer for it. In the case of the primitives
except for "resource", PPS can represent differences between
types and instances. However, in terms of resource, PPS
can not represent instance of resource type. This is the
correct answer. In this sense, your first suggestion is
quire meaningful.

The reason why we didn't try to have a representation that
shows a instance of resource such as Kurosawa is, as I described
briefly in the previous mail, that both Kurosawa and Film
Director perform the same role in planning and scheduling
problems. In these problems, even Kurosawa is class of
some functional objects (instances) which can take a particular
role.

In production management, shop floor personnel are sometimes
not identified by their exact name but their skill group.
Machines are also identified by group and their total capacity
and capability. In a practical system implementation, instance
of resource (Machine-001) and type of resource (MillingMachines)
need to be operated in a single algorithm.

However, this doesn't mean that you cannot represent Machine-001
as an instance. If you need to identify it as an instance,
Machine-001 can be represented by "lot", which can be a target
of an operation. This is not suitable and not imaginable in common
sense though.

Let me change the subject, some ISO groups as well as ISA-95
discuss the term "resource" as a combination of consumable and
non-consumable ones. It is clear that consumable resources mean
materials, which are represented by "lot" in PPS.

Regards,
Yasu

--
Yasuyuki NISHIOKA, Ph.D., Hosei Universiry