privacymgmt-discuss message

Subject: A deliverable mapping security services more explicitly to the Privacy Services in the TC's draft charter

I believe that an additional (and manageable) deliverable for the TC and draft charter would be to address more security as an integral part of the reference model and begin work to define the relationship more explicitly between privacy services (such as Control, Usage, etc.) and particular security services, such as encryption, identity management/ authentication/access control, data integrity controls, etc.   In the current ISTPA version of the reference model, while there are explicit requirements for security at both the privacy service and infrastructure levels,  more detailed security mapping work was out of scope of the current model.  I think such mapping – at least at an abstract level – would be well within the scope of the new TC in OASIS, would add value to the work of the TC and generate more interest from many TC members.  This could be done as a third major deliverable, handled as an appendix/annex or profile:

- An annex (or profile?) which maps security services (confidentiality, integrity, availability, expressed at the mechanism level – for example, encryption, identity management/authentication/access control, digital signature) to the PMRM services

This would require deleting or modifying  the current “out of scope statement” in the draft charter:

Specification of any particular security service, mechanism or standard for the security of Personal Information is out of scope for this TC.

List members should read the ISTPA PMRM v2.0 at http://www.istpa.org/pdfs/ISTPAPrivacyManagementReferenceModelV2%200.pdf to understand the careful treatment of security in the current draft.

John

__________________________________

John T. Sabo, CISSP
Director, Global Government Relations

CA, Inc.

Suite 1220

1401 I Street NW

Washington DC 20005

Tel: +1 202-513-6304

Mobile: +1 443-629-6198
Fax: +1 202-513-6395
This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.