provision-comment message

Subject: RE: [provision-comment] (PSTCFAQv01) - Version 1 of PSTC FAQ

I personally do not think we should constrain ourselves to provisioning only security related “things”. Whilst I agree that we will need to closely manage scope as we move this forward, we do need to be mindful of the large number of “loosely attached” security things that are often bound in with a given say, user provisioning activity.

A good example would be a provisioning request to activate a new user that results in a bunch of account level provisioning PLUS the initiation of a new cell phone request (for example).  Within the provisioning platform this may be little more than an encapsulated process flow, maybe resulting in an email or workflow action.  If we allow for these types of actions we will need to allow for the exchange of the required data – thus back to the definition of provisioning issue….

Having said all that, if we simply emphasize the services in Provisioning SERVICES TC and explain that this implies the provisioning of services – “services” has a pretty wide definition….

Darran Rolls
Waveset Technologies
MSIM  drolls_waveset@hotmail.com
AIM    drollswaveset
YIM    drolls_waveset
http://www.waveset.com/
drolls@waveset.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Hal Lockhart [mailto:hal.lockhart@entegrity.com]
Sent
: Monday, October 29, 2001 11:14 AM
To: 'Gavenraj Sodhi'; provision-comment@lists.oasis-open.org; xrpm@yahoogroups.com

I am content with the scope of this TC being limited to "security related" aspects of administration (access and entitlement). However, I fear that the definition of Provisioning proposed below is not consistent with the generally understood meaning of the term in the networking industry and bodies such the DMTF.

The use of the term in this general snse (as distinct from the dictionary definition of obtaining food and other necessities) came from the telephone companies and predates the existence of software. It has largely been adopted by ISPs and other data network providers.

Normally it refers to configuration activities that are specific to a particular user, order or service delivery as distinguished from activities intended to affect the behavior of the overall network. ( Configuring a router to optimize capacity between NY and Boston is not provisioning. Configuring a router to allow John Doe to access the network is provisioning.)

In any event, the term is not generally understood to be specific to security concerns. Curiously, the DMTF does not list the term in their CIM glossary. Lynn Wheeler does not list it either, which suggests in is not considered a security "term of art". I did find this definition at whatis.com which is generally consistent with my notion.

Therefore, to avoid confusion, perhaps we should use some modifier, such as security provisioning, user provisioning, access provisioning, entitlement provisioning or rights provisioning.

Hal