provision-comment message

Subject: Re: [provision-comment] Received your request re SPML

Nkululeko,

I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you want:
- An AddRequest would create an Provisioning Service Object--e.g., a User--on the target-system handled by the provider.
- An UpdatesRequest allows the requestor to ask for changes to Provisioning Service objects, but the provider never sends an unsolicited response.
- In the SPML protocol, the requestor always initiates the operation by sending a Request (and the provider always sends a Response).

Requestor and Provider are roles in the protocol--exactly like the terms "client" and "server".  You could have the target system send information to the source-system, but in that case you've switched roles: the original target-system now acts as the requester and sends, for example, ModificationRequests back to the original source-system, who now acts as provider.

Do you see the point I'm trying to make?  There is nothing in the protocol itself that allows a client to register for future change-notifications. (The only thing built into the protocol is for a client to poll for changes.)  However, two or more systems can interact in the way you describe--to achieve the same effect--using the SPML protocol to push change-notifications.  (The Capability mechanism in SPMLv2 even allows you to define your own operations--for example, to formalize the operation that registers interest in a particular subset of PSOs.)

Does this help?

Gary