Subject: RE: [provision] What exactly do we mean by provisioning?

Title: RE: [provision] What exactly do we mean by provisioning?

> I like all three definitions, but want to point out that the
> first is broader in terms of who, but actually narrower in terms
> of what, than the second.

I am not sure I agree, but I would like to focus on the big picture first and wordsmith later.

> Scope for both who and what should
> be explicitly defined. I like the idea of limiting the who
> to "user", though I think that will be both difficult and
> potentially problematic. I think limiting the what to electronic
> services is too narrow. The definition on the ADPr site is
> the broadest and provides no scope for either.

My alternative drops "who" entirely. In any event, I suspect that once we agree on the sort of triggering event (~who), the group will want to be able to specify every action that follows (~what) even if the action is just to print a piece of paper telling a human being to do something.

> One thing we should be careful to avoid is equating
> "identity" with "user".  Users have an identity, but obviously an
> identity can refer to much more than just a user. I know you
> weren't saying that, but a couple comments could be read
> that way.

I am well aware of this. I considered introducing the SAML term "System Entity", but felt it would just confuse matters. My example (web hosting) was carefully chosen to involve neither.

Hal