Subject: RE: [provision] Scope of SPML -- Identities and Resources

Darren, you hit the nail on the head!  The "value-add" here is not in
defining Yet Another Set of Schema (after all, we have the excellent work of
various NAC, OSI, IETF, DMTF, other standards groups, and vendor committees
to take advantage of in this space - besides which, I think every end-user
organization has their own schema they have lovingly cultivated and won't
want to give up), but in defining a standard means for the various
components operating in the provisioning service space to exchange the data
needed to make the transaction work.  In this regard, we are like the
designers of a highway.  We aren't determining what the cars that use it
will look like, we want to make sure that the road will allow all to use it
in a manner that is safe and efficient.  By "overloading" the types of
things that may be provisioned, we force ourselves to take a step back (up?)
and get our heads out of the weeds.

Edward D. (Ed) Truitt
Systems Analyst
Global Infrastructure Delivery / Global IT Delivery
ChevronTexaco  Information Technology Company
Ph# +1 281.596-3246 Fax# +1 281.596-2714
Cell phone / Pager # +1 832.443-7283
"Got IT?"