Subject: RE: [provision] Formation of editorial roles and possible sub-committee

I'll pull together a mini charter for the "reporter role" and forward
this to the list.

I believe the next con-call is scheduled for 3/4/2002.

Darran Rolls                      http://www.waveset.com
Waveset Technologies Inc          drolls@waveset.com
(512) 657 8360                    PGP  0x8AC67C6F

From: Karl Gottschalk [mailto:karlgott@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 11:15 AM
To: Darran Rolls
Cc: provision@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [provision] Formation of editiorial roles and possible
sub-committee

Darran, I would be happy to be a technology reporter for the W3C Web
Services Architecture WG, as I am working closely with someone in that
group.  By the way, do we have a call Monday?

Karl Gottschalk
tie 441-9611
ext. 919-543-9611

                      Darran Rolls

                      <Darran.Rolls@wav        To:
provision@lists.oasis-open.org

                      eset.com>                cc:

                                               Subject:  [provision]
Formation of editiorial roles and possible sub-committee
                      02/19/2002 10:18

                      AM

Folks

In order to move this initiative forward, I believe the time has come to
break up our activities into responsible roles (editors) or to formally
create sub-committee's to address specific aspects of the problem
domain.

What do we need?
================
At this point in time, it appears that we have two parallel activities
under way.  The first is to expand and complete the requirements
process.  The second is to analyze specific adjacent technologies and
asses their impact on SPML. The third is a kind of PR role to help
promote participation, general awareness and Provisioning Service Target
vendor involvements.  These are discussed below.

Editors or sub-committees?
==========================
On the basis that the above activities may be core to many of our
interests, we may (undesirably) end up all involved with everything.  If
this is the case, it may be prudent to assign coordinating editors
without sub-committees, and move to an informal WG tele-conference on
each subject.

If we feel there is sufficient separation of interest/involvement then I
propose the formation of these activities as formal sub-committees with
assigned chairs etc.

Use Cases & requirement
=======================
This activity (editor or sub-committee) would be responsible for the
following:

* Expansion of requirements and use-case "primitives" unearthed at F2F#1
* Creation of a constant set of UML use-cases and detailed requirements
for SPML
* On-ward maintenance of a detailed glossary
* Creation of a domain-model for SPML

Technology Reporters
====================
This may sound a little nebulas but, the idea is that there are many
adjacent technologies that do/could effect the requirements of SPML.
This activity would be responsible for investigating and reporting and
recommending to the committee specific adjacent technologies that
effects/over-laps with our efforts. This may be best suited to a
"reporter" type role, in which a responsible individual collates,
summarizes and recommends to the committee details of the "subject
matter" in the form of an informal report.  This role would then morph
into a more traditional liaison role if appropriate.

Here is a straw-man of the areas I believe we need to dive into:
             - ASN.1 MIB->XML
             - CIM/XML initiative
             - OASIS CIQ
             - OASIS SAML 7 XACML
             - OASIS ebXML
             - W3C Web Services Architecture WG
             - SOAP security

PR
==
It was suggested at F2F#1 that someone needs to focus on the PR aspects
of our initiative.  In outline this means producing a plan for press,
analyst and events.  Working in conjunction with Carol@OASIS to plan,
execute and report to the group on activities.  Again this could be an
assigned role or a sub-committee activity.

Thoughts comments?