Subject: Re: [provision] A Proposal for using DSML for Provisioning

Can I play this back to make sure I understand?

The RA requests a PSTD for the principle specified in the request data.  So
there will be authorization of
1) The RA as entitled to request PSTDs
2) the RA as entitled to act for the principle in requesting this PSTD in
particular
3) The principle of being entitled to have the new account allocated

Is that right?

I've been wondering if a 3rd party should be added as a parameter to this
and related requests.  The use cases support the delegation of request -
that is a PSP or PST becoming an RA in order to complete a provisioning
request, right?  If a request has been delegated, might it be necessary to
also know the original RA?

Mike Polan
IBM Canada Ltd

|         |           jbohren@opennetwo|
|         |           rk.com (Jeff     |
|         |           Bohren)          |
|         |           07/24/2002 02:31 |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |       To:       Tony Gullotta <TGullotta@access360.com>                                                                                          |
  |       cc:       provision@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  Re: [provision] A Proposal for using DSML for Provisioning                                                                       |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |

Tony,

No, I would not say that is true in general, although it might be in some
cases. In use case 5 the RA is the requestor that is requesting a PSTD on
the behalf of a specific principle. The principle that is used for
authenticating request at the protocol (i.e. SOAP) may or may not be the
principle of the RA. If it is not, then the authRequest tag must be used to
specificy that the principle upon which authroization decisions are to be
made is the principle of the RA. Obviously the principle that was used for
the protocol must have privalege to impersonate the RA.

Jeff Bohren

Tony Gullotta wrote:

> So are you saying that the principal used for authentication of the DSML
> request would be used to identify the end-user being provisioned when
> communicating between the RA and PSP. In example 5 then, provisioning
> the email account jsmith@acme.com would be linked back to the identity
> cn=John Smith,o=acme.com for authorization of the provisioning request.
> Or to put it another way, the PSP would authorize that cn=John
> Smith,o=acme.com could have the email account before provisioning it.
>
> Tony

Product Architect
OpenNetwork Techologies
jbohren@opennetwork.com