Subject: [provision] SPML Requirements List

Folks

Through the process of defining the SPML charter, use cases and ongoing
work we have implicitly gathered a set of requirements.  We have not as
yet clearly articulated these in a single document.  On this weeks
con-call, we concluded that we probably need to do this now.  I would
like to start this effort by offering the following (incomplete) list of
requirements.  Please add to this list and/or comment on the limited set
suggested here.

1 - To define an XML Schema based protocol for exchanging provisioning
requests between a Requesting Authority (RA) and a Provisioning Service
Point (PSP).

2 - To define an XML Schema based protocol for exchanging requests
provisioning requests between a PSP and a Provisioning Service Target
(PST).

3 - To provide a query model that allows a RA to discover those
provisioning elements it is authorized to act upon.

4 - To provide a model that allows a RA and a PSP to dynamically
discover the required data values for a given provisioning action.

5 - To provide consideration for the security and general operational
concerns of such an exchange system.

6 - To provide guidelines on binding SPML to the SOAP and HTTP
protocols.

7 - To provide an open extensible solution that is independent of any
one vendors implementation or solutions model.

8 - To provide a transactional element to the request/response model
that allows for the exchange of ordered batches of requests.

9 - To deliver a solution in a timely manor.

10 - To where possible and reasonable to re-use and extend existing
standards efforts for the benefit of the SPML solution.

Darran Rolls                      http://www.waveset.com
Waveset Technologies Inc          drolls@waveset.com
(512) 657 8360