Subject: [provision] Security Joint Committee Charter

Folks

The SJC is about to ratify a charter statement for the joint committee.
The charter text is included below.  There's nothing controversial in
it.  As the representative from our committee I have to vote to accept
modify or reject this charter text by 9-3-2002.  Please take a quick
read and let me know if it gives you any pain.

================================

To promote the use of consistent terms

Through consultation with, and the participation of member TC's, to
encourage new and developing TC's to use consistent security terms and
definitions in specification documentation.

To promote re-use

To provide the definition and identification of re-usable security
related specification elements.  Security related specification elements
are defined as (but are not limited to) object models, use cases,
extensible XML elements, cryptographic processes and deployment
profiles.

To champion an OASIS security standards model

To champion the creation of a reference model that shows how OASIS
security TC specifications are inter-related.  This reference model
shall define how OASIS security related specifications "fit together"
and relate to other security relevant works at W3C, IETF, WS-I, ASN X9
etc.

To provide consistent PR

To provide a single point of contact for addressing security related
enquiries at OASIS and in doing so to help organize and coordinate
security related comment and PR from OASIS.

To promote mutuality, operational independence & ethics

The SJC will foster and maintain respect among OASIS security TCs and
for them in the security community at large. The SJC will maintain a
vendor neutral and vendor agnostic view in its support for diverse
security technologies.

The SJC will promote public safeguards and believes that security
technologies should be used solely for legal, ethical, and
nondiscriminatory purposes. The joint committee is committed to the
highest standards of systems integrity and data security in order to
deter identity theft, protect personal privacy, and ensure equal rights
in all security applications.

Darran Rolls                      http://www.waveset.com
Waveset Technologies Inc          drolls@waveset.com
(512) 657 8360