Subject: [provision] ASP vs MSP

Title: Message
Hi,
Today, there are almost no commercial applications that meet the technical definition of WebServices.  So, I use "webservice" to include any application whose client is a web-browser.

ASPs:
-- Write their own Applications
-- Host their own Applications
-- Usually Multi-Tenant (Single instance of Software, Many Companies+Users on that instance)
Examples:
http://www.netledger.com/portal/products.jsp
http://www.webex.com/
http://salesforce.com/us/
http://upshot.com/

MSPs:
-- Buy Applications from ISVs
-- Host Applications
-- May be Single-Tenant or Multi-Tenant
Examples:
http://www.surebridge.com/business_solutions/sol/
http://apptix.com/solutions/products/services/index.htm

We would expect that each ASP has its own proprietary SSO and Provisioning.

However, MSPs that host the identical 3rd part Application, will also come up with proprietary SSO and Provisioning.

We hope that SPML will provide a Provisioning standard, not only for internal corporate applciations, but also for external ASP and MSP applications.

regards,
Edwin.