Subject: RE: [provision] BatchRequest/Response envelope and batch ID

Thanks Jeff. I understand all that, but can I request a status of a
single service, without maintaining batch-id's?
What would I pass as a batch status request to find that out?

Thx, Matthias

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Bohren [mailto:jbohren@opennetwork.com]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 5:58 PM
To: provision@lists.oasis-open.org

From a practical standpoint, batches are optional. The schema does
require the batch request element, but the batch request could contain a
single operation. If you don't want batching that is what you should do.

Since batches are effectively optional, when should you use them? They
should be used when one of the following is a requirement:

1) There is the need for transactions (i.e. all operations in a batch
must succeed or they all roll back)
2) There is a set of operations that must all be approved or denied
together
3) There is a set of operations that must be audited as a set

Since you can do single operations with our current batch mechanisms,
but you can't do the kinds of things descibed above, it makes sense to
have batches as part of the standard.

One piece of functionality we used to have for a batch status request
was to return the status of all operations as they would be if the
request was finished at that point. That would allow for the retrieval
of the status of all the operations of a batch, not just status of the
batch itself.

Jeff Bohren
OpenNetwork Technologies