Subject: RE: [provision] Reuse in SPML

Jeff,
It sounds to me like you didn't read my response thoroughly and are
assuming that I haven't read the SPML schema documents.  Let me rephrase my
objection.  Even if there is an agreed upon standard schema as there is for
LDAP, you are still constrained by the expressive limitations of the schema
language.  This is as true for SPML schema as it is for LDAP.  My example,
you didn't seem to notice,  was stated in SPML schema, not LDAP schema - I
know the difference even though it is slight.  Since we're on the subject,
SPML even loses some of the expressiveness of LDAP schema in that there
seems to be no way to specify syntax or matching rules.  Not that I'm in
love with those concepts because, again, they are defined in documents that
must be ferreted out (or known about beforehand)  rather than being
available for immediate interpretation by tools.

As far as a root DSE and controls go, I would argue that if there is no way
for a tool to determine any metadata about an element of the protocol then
it doesn't belong there.  I would ask the same question about determining
the schema for an entity in the absence of a root DSE or the requirement
for a subschemasubentry attribute.  Does SPML mandate the use of
subschemasubentry or is SPML schema simply declarative and how you go about
getting it outside the scope of the spec?

As I'm sure you know, we also make extensive use of directory based
protocols for provisioning and I don't see the need to restate that or
OpenNetwork's commitment to DSMLv2.  What would be more interesting to me
would be for you to assure me that you have never run into any limitations
in your use of DSML or LDAP:  No XML documents as attribute values;  No
Java serialized objects as attribute values because you were just stuck and
there was no other way.

You seem to be completely missing my point about WSDL. and I can certainly
be more specific, but I also like the direction some other specifications
have gone with their definition of the basic message schema in XML-Schema
and then a separate binding into WSDL.  That's exactly what I would like to
see.  Those specifications have targeted their messages to the domain and
publish the interface using WSDL. To state that you are following that lead
is to ignore the fact that you are repackaging a directory protocol which,
to repeat myself again, is the brunt of my objection.

Obviously SPML must go beyond a lot of the existing simple services out
there because it must allow the definition of schema.  This is another
conerstone of my argument and you cannot dismiss it by claiming that
someone could define a class with a particular attribute with a particular
syntax if they want a suspendable account or some other feature.  Sorry but
that doesn't jive with your arguments about semantics and it doesn't
satisfy my need for a provisioning centric API with en expressive schema
language.

The questions I'm asking will be asked by others when you unveil this
proposal to the world at large.  To be honest, the dismissive "don't worry
about it, it will easily work" platitude is OK for me but doesn't win
support when real problems have to be confronted and solved.  As I have
said before, we should be on the same side.
Gerry

|         |           Jeff Bohren      |
|         |           <jbohren@opennetw|
|         |           ork.com>         |
|         |           02/27/2003 11:15 |
  |       To:       provision@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                               |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  RE: [provision] Reuse in SPML                                                                                |

Gerry,

I apologize for not being clear on this, but root DSEs are not part of
SPML. Although the control element is allowed as past of the DSMLMessage
definition, this is outside of the scope of SPML. If that bothers you we
could easily remove the reuse of the DSMLMessage type. Would you like me
to propose that at the next meeting? It would have no impact on the spec
to do that. Also, we do not use LDAP Schema in SPML. There is an SPML
Schema mechanism.

I'm sorry, but I still don't see the value in throwing away what we have
so far to start from scratch along a path that may never yield any
useful results. I would still rather go with something I know will work.

Could you do provisioning with just DSML v2? Absolutely, and OpenNetwork
Technologies will continue to support that in addition to SPML. In fact
my original "SPML based on DSML v2" proposal was much closer to DSML v2
than SPML is today. As committee we added the additional functionality
to support areas that DSML v2 was deemed insufficient.

The SPML effort is not intended to be limited to SOAP/HTTP. That is one
of two supported bindings (the other being the File Binding) in the 1.0
spec. There will probably be other bindings defined post 1.0. If we
build the spec around WSDL, then we are limited to the SOAP/HTTP
binding. I don't find that acceptable.

If you believe that WSDL/XML Schema is the right solution, go ahead and
use it. The PS TC has published a XML Schema for SPML and will likely
publish a WSDL definition as part of the SOAP/HTTP Binding.

Note that the approach we are taking for SPML of defining the protocol
in the document body schema (with supporting normative restrictions)
rather than as WSDL/XML Schema is the same approach being taken by DSML,
SAML, XKMS, OMI, UDDI, etc. Are there any standards bodies taking the
approach of defining the protocol in terms of WSDL/XML Schema only? It
is an interesting idea, but it seems risky to me at this stage.

The intention is that WS-Security be used with the SPML SOAP/HTTP
Binding. That is why we explicitly avoided dealing with authentication
issues in that binding. There will be recommendations around WS-Security
in the SOAP/HTTP Bindings document.

The SPML Batch Request is not intended to imply transactions, although
an implementer could certainly make them transactional. Instead it is
intended to support the asynchronous request/response model, something
that DSML v2 lacked.

Now for the suspend/restore example. The PSTC (or someone else) could
define a standard schema that defines an object class for accounts that
can be suspended. For this example, call it suspendableAccount. This
class would define an accountStatus attribute. Any PST that supports
suspendable accounts would add this object class and a parent class of
the PSTs object class.

The PSP, when trying to suspend an account would look to see of the
account type had suspendableAccount as a parent class. If it did, it
would use the accountStatus attribute.

This is just speculation, so don't get hung up on the details. I'm not
sure how this problem will actually be solved, but it is easily
solvable.

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect
OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc