Subject: RE: [provision] The modification problem gets worse...

Gerry,

You are incorrect about how DSML Modifications work. They do support
deleting value from an attribute, as well as adding a value to an
attribute. Even if delete was not supported (which it is), I could still
show a similar example of two different RAs adding a value to the same
attribute. Again, it works in the current specification, and does not
work in your proposal.

What you are illustrating quite well is the benefit of basing a new
protocol on work done in another one. We don't have to scratch our heads
and wonder how the protocol should behave. We have RFCs, books, user
communities, and vendor support to turn to for questions. I made this
point early in the discussion that we can be confident that the current
spec will work because we based it on another spec that is known to
work. We start over from scratch and we lose that.

This also illustrates the importance of examining other protocols that
are similar to what you are proposing. I think that the problems that
have arising originally around searching and now around modifications
illustrate the need to look at like protocols for validation that the
approach is sound and that it is likely to be adopted by the industry.
Unfortunately I am at loss as to what protocols we could compare it to.

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect
OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc