Subject: RE: [provision] Proposal comparisons...

Gerry,

Let's start with the contact list from the original Tiny Telecom
example. You can't identify the contact with out checking for the unique
combination of first name, last name, and middle initial. What if two
contacts had the same first name, last name, and middle initial? This is
a very likely scenario among cousins of many cultures. This is, after
all, a friends and family account.

Since the contact list display the exact same problem I am talking
about, you have not shown an example where this issues is NOT a problem.

I am not so much worried about the obvious cases like the contact list.
I am more concerned about this creeping into provisioning systems in
ways that the implementers are unaware of. As the provisioning data
representation becomes more complex, and as more clients access a
service, the more likely this kind of problem is.

This also brings up the interesting questions of what should happen when
the XPath on a modify request points to more than one element. Should it
be an error? Should all the elements be modified? The first element? The
last element? Should the RA specify the behavior? Should the service
specify the behavior?

Is the element cardinality defined in the schema enforced on the data
passed to modify requests? Is it enforced on the results of the
modifications? If not enforced on the results of the modification, is it
enforced on the resulting search responses?

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect
OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc