Subject: RE: [provision] Outstanding technical issues

Re 1.  Does someone want to take a stab at what the operational
attributes will look like to do this?  I propose we then add this to the
seachRequest section of the non-normative text by way or example.

Re 2.  Does anyone disagree?  Shall I add a discussion point for
Monday's meeting?

Darran Rolls                      http://www.waveset.com
Waveset Technologies Inc          drolls@waveset.com
512) 657 8360

From: Jeff Bohren [mailto:jbohren@opennetwork.com]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 7:23 AM
To: Darran Rolls; Gearard Woods; provision@lists.oasis-open.org

1- The controls in DSMLv2 are conceptually equivalent to SPML
operational attributes, and as such are redundant. Also, DSMLv2 controls
are really LDAP controls. This makes sense in DSMLv2 which will usually
be back-ended by an LDAP server, but does not make as much sense in
SPML. Also, DSMLv2 controls are BER encoded, which again makes sense in
DSMLv2, but not in SPML.

2- I think this is reasonable. The use of the xml:lang attribute should
be the responsibility of the SPML implementers, as should be what
character sets to use.

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect
OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc