Subject: Paged Search controls - round-up

I have an outstanding item from last weeks con-call to summarize the paged search control issue and  get closure.  In outline the issue is as follows:

  • We need a model to handle paging through large result sets
  • DSML provided this through LDAP like controls
  • We do not want to adopt this model but need something operationally equivalent
  • The proposal is to use operational attributes to handle this
  • Consensus was that we needed to be very clear how this would operate as many would want to use this feature
  • Consensus was that these controls should be optional but called out in a clear example in the spec

What needs to happen is:

  • Jeff, can you provide an example of using  OA’s for page control
  • Committee needs to look at this and ensure it meets everyone’s needs
  • Committee needs to decide on the “strength” of the normative text around this issue (i.e. do we put a must implement page control in this manner” into the 1.0 specification

Thanks

Darran Rolls                      http://www.waveset.com

Waveset Technologies Inc          drolls@waveset.com

512) 657 8360