Subject: Open Content Model...

Once issue we have not discussed yet is whether SPML should support an open content model or a closed content model (it is currently a closed content model). This issue was raised by my colleague Steve Anderson. The open content model allows elements that are ignored by the protocol to be inserted into a message, and still allow the message to be schema conformant.

The two areas this is immediately useful is for XML Encryption and XML Digital Signature where sub elements of the message are to be encrypted or signed. Although this is not very useful for the simple web service case, it is useful for more complex scenarios where web service routing is supported, or for supporting other bindings.

One important point is that supporting an open content model does not change the protocol at all. It merely adds hooks for infrastructure components add message processing information.

I would like to add this as an issue to discuss at the next telecon.

Jeff Bohren

Product Architect

OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc