Subject: RE: SPML Roadmap

Hi Gerry,

The attached document addresses and hopefully answers your concerns.
If you have any further questions or remarks regarding this document or the
roadmap document, please do not hesitate to call me.

Best regards,

Rami.

---------

Rami Elron
Senior System Architect
Security Business Unit
BMC Software Ltd.

Tel: 972 3 766 2434
Fax: 972 3 645 1100
Mobile: 972 64 286 434
email: rami_elron@bmc.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Gearard Woods [mailto:gewoods@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 12:22 AM
To: rami_elron@bmc.com; provision@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: SPML Roadmap

Rami,
Further to the call yesterday, I wanted to clarify one of the major
problems that I have with the SPML as it stands and to get your feedback on
how the problem might be solved either with today's approach or with
features that are on the roadmap.  Fundamentally, I believe that the schema
language introduced by the current SPML is too restrictive and reflects a
data model that will not be able to satisfy my immediate needs to transport
complex XML data.  In fact, I have difficulty seeing how a roadmap built on
this schema language can be made to fit my requirements in the long run.
As an example, could you explain to me how I might use the SPML in the
simple scenario where I have a service (a Web Service) that I wish to
provision which requires the user information to be provided using the
Liberty Alliance user profile
(http://www.projectliberty.org/specs/lib-svc-id-pp.xsd)?  This is not an
outlandish scenario by any means, and you could substitute other user
representations such the ebXML UserType for example.  Obviously, since the
SPML cannot support XML Schema, I have to think that publishing the schema
for such a service might be problematic.  It also seems difficult, given
the attribute/value data model in the current SPML, to communicate an
instance of one of these structures.  If you can reassure me that this is
in fact quite seamless and simple in the current SPML, or your roadmap
answers this concern, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Gerry

Response to SPML Roadmap concerns.doc