Subject: RE: [provision] Liberty Identity Personal Profile example...

Gerry,

To be precise, the example I posted shows how SPML could be used to
provision the data that could also be represented by the below XML
document. That is a subtle, but important difference. As a provisioning
protocol the XML document does not serve very well, as indicated in the
Liberty spec itself.

Provisioning this information is not as simple as just consuming a WSDL
file and generating a stub. For instance in the Liberty ID-WSF Data
Serice Template
(http://www.projectliberty.org/specs/draft-lib-svc-dst-v1.0-16.pdf) line
706 the XML to replace a Postal Address is:

<Modify>
  <Resource>
    <saml:NameIdentifier>d8ddw6dd7m28v628</saml:NameIdentifier>
  </Resource>
  <Modification overrideAllowed="True">

<Select>/IDPP/IDPPAddressCard[IDPPAddressType='urn:liberty:idpp:addrType
:home']</Select>
    <NewData>
      <IDPPAddressCard id='98123'>
        <IDPPAddressType>urn:liberty:idpp:addrType:home<IDPPAddressType>

        <Address>
          <PostalAddress>c/o Carolyn Lewis$2378 Madrona Beach
Way</PostalAddress>
          <PostalCode>98503-2342</PostalCode>
          <L>Olympia</L>
          <ST>wa</ST>
          <C>us</C>
        </Address>
      </IDPPAddressCard>
    </NewData>
  </Modification>
</Modify>

Note that there logic involved that would not be represented in a WSDL
file. Further note that this  can not be safely used to modify the
postal address anyway. Line 701 reads:

"Following example replaces current home address with a new home address
in the personal profile of a Principal. Please note that this request
will fail, if there are two or more home addresses in the profile,
because it is not clear in this request, which out of those addressed
should be replaced by this address."

The SPML approach can safely modify any of the profile data structures
because each sub element can be uniquely identified.

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect
OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc